Travel Grant for Starting Scholars from Overseas
Application Deadline: April 25, 2016
The 89th Annual Meeting of the Japan Sociological Society (JSS)
Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan / October 8 - 9, 2016
The International Liaison Committee of the Japan Sociological Society (JSS) is pleased to announce its tenth annual Travel Grant competition for starting scholars living outside of Japan. The objective of this grant is to support up to 6 international sociologists who will present papers and participate in the JSS annual meeting in Japan. Each scholar selected will be awarded 80,000 yen to support accommodation and travel expenses.
1. Eligibility requirements:
To be eligible for support, the international applicant must:
(1) be currently living and working (or studying, if the applicant is a graduate student) outside of Japan. Scholars living in Japan, Japanese citizens, and permanent residents of Japan are NOT eligible to apply.
(2) hold a master's degree or higher obtained within the past ten years as of April 25, 2016. If there is no system to offer the master degree for the doctoral course, please send us the letter from your supervisor with his/her signature to state that the applicant is regarded to be equivalent to those who hold the master degree.
(3) hold a membership in their country's national sociological association (or equivalent scholarly association).
Although the competition is open to any starting scholars meeting the eligibility requirements above, a preference is given to Asian citizens currently living in Asia (excluding Japan) and first-time applicants. Researchers who are at the relatively early stage of career are encouraged to apply for our grant.
Grant winners will be exempt from the annual conference fee as well as the JSS membership fee for the first year. All awardees will make 15-minute presentations at a session in the JSS either in English or Japanese.
* Please note that in order to receive the grant, selected awardees must be able and willing to submit the following three items:
(a) a letter agreeing to participate in the conference,
(b) a membership application for the JSS, and
(c) a travel itinerary and air-ticket stubs.
All applicants must send the JSS office the following two items: Please use the JSS format.
(1) an application form for the Travel Grant,
JSS format (1)
(2) two to four pages of extended abstract (600 to 1,000 English words), including tables/figures, references, and notes. The extended abstract should include a clear description of research questions, theoretical framework, data, analytical methods, and main findings. Again, it should not exceed 1,000 words, excluding the title of the paper and name and affiliation of the author(s). Please use the JSS format.
JSS format (2)
3. Application Deadline:
April 25, 2016, 23:59 (Tokyo, GMT+9:00) by e-mail
Please send applications to ilc(at)sociology.gr.jp by the deadline, April 25, 2016. Applicants are notified of abstracts accepted in sessions by May 17, 2016.
Questions? Email: ilc(at)sociology.gr.jp